are homemade vodoudolls more potent then the once bought in a kit
posted by:
christine
SF Bay Area
Advertisement
  • Unsu...

Re: vodou dolls

Sun, July 23, 2006 - 3:56 PM
    I would have to say yes--anything made with your own hands and your own ingredients with your own intentions has got to be better than something bought in a store. That's just my opinion, tho.
  • Unsu...

Thu, August 31, 2006 - 8:34 PM
    I'm old school conjure- you need to make your own. altho, in anger, any doll will do. I make one out of leather, so i can kick it around the house for quite awhile. Travis
    • Unsu...

Sun, September 3, 2006 - 11:22 PM
      Ha, that's pretty funny! You should make more and sell them to BDSM people. ;-)
      • Unsu...

Mon, September 4, 2006 - 2:44 PM
        You are right, only problem is (and i think this means you and i both don't dig being beaten) that those folks like to kick around LIVE flesh.
        But if anyone wants a kick around doll, they should get ahold of me, they come in two strenghths- nasty bad, and extra special go the extra mile nasty bad. hee hee.
  • Re: vodou dolls

Sun, September 10, 2006 - 4:14 PM
    This is actually more a question for the Rootwork tribe.

This tribe is about Vodou the religion.

The dolls you are talking about are more correctly called Doll Babies or Poppets and are not related to the religion of Vodou. They are part of African American hoodoo.

- mike

Mon, September 11, 2006 - 3:19 AM
      Have I mentioned before, Mike, that I've seen my own mambo use cloth dolls from time to time?

Sorry I can't be any more specific than that ;) -- but let's just say they *are* used in Haitian Vodou occasionally, only at the "Intermediate to Advanced" level.

Wed, September 13, 2006 - 6:47 AM
        I just hate the stereotype that comes along with the term "Voodoo Doll" -- it seems like it comes more from the derogatory white-panic use of the term "Voodoo" as referring to anything African-derived, as opposed to Haitian Vodou GIneh and its reglaman, and is usually assoc with New Orleans-style witchcraft aka hoodoo.

I don't doubt there are wanga that involve a cloth doll, but like you said, "occasionally".. Vodou is mainly about devotion and service to God and the community, not spells, is the main thing I wanted to get across. Coz there are several other tribes that focus on spells.

The most prominent use of dolls I've seen in Haitian Vodou itself is the offering of plastic baby dolls to Ezili Dantor, or the devotional art of Pierrot Barra, or pwen like are mentioned in Mama Lola, but all of those incorporate plastic doll babies or parts.

Wed, September 13, 2006 - 8:03 AM
          Not that I'm the moderator or anything, but I am not particularly in favor of dictating what can and can't be discussed here, or the suggestion that only discussion of "pure, traditional, correct" vodou is the only permissable discussion. Attempting to over-control and over-regulate topics, or their legitimacy for discussion is to my mind much worse than inadvertent conflations of tradition. It puts a real chill on discussion on a forum in which it's already hard to say anything that somebody might wish to say for fear that sombody might jump on them with a correction or a political scolding. Well, except I like the political scoldings. They're passionate and interesting.

I find most topics that come up here to be interesting. Even the flames are interesting flames, and Kathy does a fine job of moderating when things get too tedious.

Wed, September 13, 2006 - 9:19 AM
            I am sorry to have caused such havoc, I am still learning and that is why I am on this tribe.
            A lot of these traditions seem to overlap for a layperson like me.
            It was not my intention to offend only to learn. If seekers are going to be ridiculed each time
            they ask a question, please do state that we are not welcome here in your opening statement.

Wed, September 13, 2006 - 10:43 AM
              You have not caused any "havoc" christine. What is up with the hyperbole? Why are you apologizing? Seriously get a thicker skin. Do you like being a victim or a floormat? Why is that certain types of people always assume an attempt to inform is a scolding or an offense. Now you know the difference, so you learned something and that is a positive thing. I'm a Native Texan, not a Bay Area politically correct neutered male, so my posts may not meet the San Francisco standard of pillowy padding before giving an opinion. Just take the information for what it is information.

If you want to learn about hoodoo, there is a lot of it in Oakland, you could hang out over there and make some African American friends and eventually they might open up and share some about it. Or hang out at a shop that caters to that customer base. That is the best way to learn that stuff. But there IS a Rootwork tribe and folks are happy to dicuss it there. Or you can check out Luckymojo.com

For the other person, discussion forums have a topic for a reason. It keeps things focused. There are plenty of general interest groups out there for people who don't want a focused dicussion. I joined a Vodou tribe to talk about Vodou, not magic and spells. It is tiresome when every spiritual oriented forum becomes taken over by people looking for spells or info about spell casting and the main topic goes by the wayside. This comes from long experience with discussion groups. I've also seen it where a great forum about spells got taken over by a particular "Vodou Queen Bee" and her unhappy dissidents so the forum became only about her and her "fans" attacking her all the time. I'd really like to see the tribes I participate stay on track. There is a diversity of topics which is why there are different tribes for different topics. Thanks for understanding.

Wed, September 13, 2006 - 5:05 PM
                > What is up with the hyperbole? Why are you apologizing? Seriously get a thicker skin. Do you like being a victim or a floormat?

Mike, this is inappropriate. [And I'm not a "Bay Area politically correct neutered male" either -- I'm a New Yorker, so that should tell you something about my standards of politeness...]

I appreciate your dedication to the religion, and your willingness to share what you've learned, but it's not necessary to talk to other forum members this way; frankly, I'm surprised and I would expect more from you.

If you need any clarification, feel free to write me offlist.

Thanks,

Kathy L.

Wed, September 13, 2006 - 10:45 AM
              And I'd like to know where in my original reply above explaining the difference between Vodou and hoodoo and pointing out the Rootwork tribe that there was any ridicule. That is just ridicule-ous.

- m

Wed, September 13, 2006 - 11:03 AM
                I am not a doormat, but I do believe in good manners and old fashioned politeness.
                Another thing I have learned, apparently not all Texas men are gentlemen, as we are so often made to believe.

Wed, September 13, 2006 - 5:46 PM
                  As a San Francisco resident I would like to say that I love it when Mike gets worked up. it makes my pillowy padding all tingly...but I do have a real question about "dolls." I have admired certain religious objects created by Pierrot Barra in Haiti that are large fabric sculptures with doll heads, sequins and recycled junk. Some of the doll heads are referred to as djab, which I gather are trickster spirits. Can anyone elucidate this? Or is it some secret Bizango tradition.
                • Unsu...

Wed, September 13, 2006 - 5:46 PM
                  No question is inappropriate when asked in the spirit of knowing. Plain and simple Mike- you worded yourself rudely. It doesn't take that much of a man to apologize for offending, and restate your feeling in a more community encompassing way. The Lwa have taught me that the spirit is what is important. And it may be something to consider - for all the information and sources one can find- does that mean the priests and priestess' i know (more than a handful) that use cloth dolls, aren't really from Haiti? That the old mambo that has been for 60 years, using dolls, isn't really practicing voudu? That the hundreds of children she has initiated, and are blessed with being mounted, are all deluded? One just has to realize in the wider world, there are more variations in personal religious expression than you can ever hope to understand. What if the
                  Lwa sent these two ladies here to make a connection to the spirit world? And we could sour their openess to spirit by just simply being rude. I have seen so many wonderful potentials get flushed down the toilet because someone was rude, instead of helpful and clarifying- AND POSITIVE.

LADIES (and men) SEW ON!! (issued by the "I'm Not Just A Dollie- I Am A Spiritual Being Too" departement)
                  • This is the maximum depth. Additional responses will not be threaded.

Wed, September 13, 2006 - 7:21 PM
                    Thank you Travis for your kindness.
                    • Unsu...

Thu, September 14, 2006 - 8:47 PM
                      Awesome reply, Travis. You've given me some good ideas regarding leather VODOU POPPETS. ;-)

Wed, November 15, 2006 - 1:53 AM
                        There are so many different rules and taboos and "experts", I think our own connection to Spirit guides us, should always guide us and those who are trying to teach should do so in a loving way and a way that serves whatever Spirit they are doing the work of.
                        All of these traditions came from somewhere, have meaning and worth.
                        There are many many many ways people practice Vodou, and all other types of magic.
                        Bless them all!

Recent topics in "Vodou"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
Vodou society in NYC offlineJordan 2 Today, 9:00 AM
I Need Some Advice and Guidance...kind of quickly. Trevor 0 July 20, 2014
Lwa dream? Nekesha 10 May 29, 2014
Powdered Palo CJ 2 May 26, 2014